Einklappen
X
  • Filter
  • Zeit
  • Anzeigen
Alles löschen
neue Beiträge

• Temperature sensor data over Tree

Hello, I like to attach temperature sensors to my tree bus.

I know it is possible because the loxone touch has a temperature sensor integrated.

Where is a good place to start to better understand the tree protocol?

Thanks!

Tree is a proprietary protocol....I doubt reverse engineering it would be easy (or possible, it's encrypted)
    Why not use 1-wire? There is a Loxberry plugin on the way, or use the 1-Wire extension, or another supplier's bus master (esera)

Kommentar

1-wire is the next option yes.

I thought it would just be neat having one cable throughout the home with all my light switches on it, and a temperature sensor behind one in every room. All on the same tree cable.
      It would be a great addition to the loxone product range, a temperature/humidity sensor for tree. I asked them, they told me its "not on the planning".
      A loxone touch switch, which has a temp. sensor in it, just wouldn't look good in my 1900 house. I have old style switches with a Nano DI Tree behind it which connects them.

Can this Nano DI Tree be used to send temperature data over?

The loxberry project looks great, thanks for pointing me to it!

Kommentar

"Can this Nano DI Tree be used to send temperature data over?"
        I don't believe so. Unless you used a 0-10V to oulse frequency convertor somehow...not sure if that exists.

"I thought it would just be neat having one cable throughout the home with all my light switches on it"
        Why? More cables + systems, more fun! I have Tree and KNX, planning to add 1Wire too....with a Cat cable it's no problem

"It would be a great addition to the loxone product range, a temperature/humidity sensor for tree"
        I agree, I need a temp sensor for outside, don't need a Weather station. You could use the Air Sensor. I use wireless now, planning 1Wire.

Kommentar

tree is nothing else than a can bus at low transfer rate. advantage: so the topography isn't a problem. The bus termination somewhere in the middle is ok.

Kommentar

Okenny, do you send tree and knx over the same physical cat 7 cable?

So you have 2 cables power, 2 cables tree, 2 cables knx, and 1 un-used?

I never thought about it that way.

Or is it better practice to use an extra cat-7 cable for each protocol?

I am new to all of this, still figuring out on things. I am in the middle of a renovation, my walls are open so now is the time

Thomas M, does that mean I can hack tree to send temperature data?

I find it kind of lame Loxone doesn't allow it's users to use this tree bus. I chose Loxone because I read everywhere it was so "open" and first thing I want to do I am already running in this proprietary BS. Feels like being back on windows.

Kommentar

• Thomas M.
              Thomas M. kommentierte
              Kommentar bearbeiten
              don't know ... i don't have enough can-bus skill to say something about that.

You should use KNX if you want flexability....
            I use one Cat 7 cable for al
            4: 24V, GND, Tree+, Tree-
            2: KNX+, KNX-
            2: 1-Wire 5V, Data (not tried this yet, should work however)
            = 8 perfect for 1 CAT line

Kommentar

Great input thanks Okenny!

Kommentar

• okenny
                okenny kommentierte
                Kommentar bearbeiten
                Happy to help someone in English. Where in the world are you?

• koen.colen
                koen.colen kommentierte
                Kommentar bearbeiten
                Okenny I am from Belgium!

You know, I was so stupid to think a CAT-7 cable has 7 wires in it
              Thanks for making me aware this is not the case

Kommentar

If your walls are still open, I'd add a knx cable too while you have the chance. It's a better cable for some things as it has more copper diameter, it's better for driving 1 wire and KNX devices. I wish I had both knx and cat. Some reserve is always good too incase one cable is damaged somehow sometime.

Kommentar

Will do! Thanks for the tip again!

So better one CAT-7 and one KNX vs. 2 CAT-7 cables?

My thought was putting in 2 CAT-7.

Thanks Okenny, this is all very helpful.

Kommentar

I'd prefer 1x CAT and 1x EIB/KNX because with the thicker Cu diameter you get better performance for some tuings, like 1-Wire.
                    1-Wire uses only 5V so even with a small load, the voltage drop on the line can be quite high. EIB/KNX can be more reliable.
                    Also, it i permitted to run KNX/EIB lines with 230V, Cat lines should be placed in a seperate tube, at least according to the rules.

Kommentar

Okenny, do you know why there is such a massive price difference in these KNX cables?

If I compare next 2 cables, I don't see a big difference in specs, but a huge difference in price:

https://www.eibmarkt.com/cgi-bin/eib...View/NS0140147 => 89,5 € / 250 m

https://www.eibmarkt.com/cgi-bin/eib...View/NS0152068 => 194,88 € / 250 m

Thanks

Kommentar

I thinks its the material that drives the price.
                        The expensive one is "halogen-free"

Kommentar

OK thanks.
                          I am not building an airplane so I think I go with the halogen one

Kommentar

Lädt...
                          X